Sundays Are Strange Days for Newspaper Hawks

Sundays are strange days in the newspaper business. The papers are the biggest of the week. When I was a kid, these were the beasts on my back. Now, I don't sell any. The paper costs more, but, with coupons, is worth more. No cuts coupons, but that is an anecdotal observation, not a professional one.

My corner is in the heart of the Loop. On Sunday mornings, it is a desolate, lonely place. People who lived in the towers around used to, in my younger days, go to church, and I could sell a few papers before heading out myself. Now, everyone sleeps in.

Hard to know what to make of it. Sleep is needed when we are sleepy. Is everyone so tired? What are they doing making them so tired? I hope when they are older, they'll say it was a nap worth spent.

I'm not sleepy. I'm just tired.

The News
The ice storm last night created a glaze on the streets. Accidents everywhere. Two cars skidded and hit each other right in front of my place. My power was out for a half hour last night.

For irony, Chicago Storm game postponed because of the storm.

Newspapers online have many varieties. One blog says Nobody reads PDF papers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bookbinding and Bitter Cold

Chicago's Gangs Ruining Chicago: Flush Them Down the Toilet

Presidential Alert - Now That's Funny