Paperboys & Bulls, Hawks - Monday, February 12, 2007

Monday, February 12, 2007
6:04 a.m.

Trying to stretch my legs on this Monday morning is easier than last week. The weather is warm, if but by degrees, and I'll take it. It is 26°. I'll take it, I'll take it.

26° isn't 72°, but compared to what we've been having, it is balmy. Some snow, but the boys at the DOT have it under control. Daley is no Bilandic.

Sipping this morning's coffee is somehow sweeter, somehow less necessary as a drug for waking me, and more for enjoying.

It reminds me of the brisk mornings when I delivered papers from my bike. It was much like now, but I covered more distance. Over each shoulder I had slung a bag. I delivered three paper routes: two Chicago Tribune routes, one Chicago Sun-Times' route. I think I had 103 papers in all. Maybe there was 126.

I was in great shape.

On Sundays, I dragged a wagon, a red Radio Flyer, a metal one, piled high with papers. and would would the route. I rigged the wagon to hold three times as many as it normally would.

more about this below



I took it seriously, actually placing the paper as close to the door as possible.

Now, where I live, a guy drives by in a minvan, and steps out every few homes and runs up and down. To his credit, his drop is spot-on, right at the door. I don't, as you might gues, subscribe, but my neighbor in her 70s does, and appreciates fully the care he takes to get the job done right.

The News (see yesterday's post to catch the Obama and Anna Nicole Smith news)
The Bulls won, and with the warm, weather, the noise about Barack Obama here in Chicago, and the sad death of starlet Anna Nicole Smith, I expect today to be a banner day.

I don't follow hockey, but that the Hawks won always picks up a sale or two.

There's more news than this, with more dead in Iraq, Iran, Hamas, Israel all picking up a few stories. Take the good news this morning, though. If Obama is your man, rejoice. If you are a Bulls or Hawks fan, rejoice.

And, buy a paper. I can tell you, there are a lot of hardworking guys and gals out there, hoping you will.

NBA: Chicago 116, Phoenix 103
Playfuls.com - 6 hours ago
Kirk Hinrich and Luol Deng scored 29 points apiece Sunday night as the Chicago Bulls beat the Phoenix Suns, 116-103. Chicago had not beaten Phoenix since the days of Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen Nov. 20, 1996. The teams split rough second-half ...

Chicago Bulls (28-23) At Phoenix Suns (39-11), 8 Pm NBC5.com

Bulls snap 8-game slide in Phoenix Houston Chronicle

Houston Chronicle - NBCSports.com

all 374 news articles »


NHL: Chicago 5, Columbus 4
ImediNews - 1 hour ago
COLUMBUS, Ohio (UPI) - Martin Havlat had a goal and two assists Sunday afternoon, as the Chicago Blackhawks beat Columbus, 5-4.

Chicago Blackhawks (21-27-7) At Columbus Blue Jackets (22-28-5), 3 ...
WPXI.com

all 234 news articles »

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bookbinding and Bitter Cold

Chicago's Gangs Ruining Chicago: Flush Them Down the Toilet

Presidential Alert - Now That's Funny